Dear Early College High School Families,
Welcome back to the 2016-2017 school year!
- Tuesday, August 16, 2016: Link Leader Training from 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 17, 2016: MANDATORY Whole School Orientation at 6:00 p.m., Large Auditorium. All students will pick up their Fall 2016 schedules.
- Thursday, August 18, 2016: First Day of School for 9th Grade, Newly Enrolled, and Link Crew Students ONLY. School now begins at 7:30 a.m. Please see the updated Bell Schedule online for more information.
- Friday, August 19, 2016: First Day of School for ALL OTHER Students. School begins at 7:30 a.m.
Congratulations to our ACE Teacher, Mrs. Emily Sherwood, as she was named the 2016-2017 CTE Educator of the Year through the Colorado Association of Career and Technical Education!
As we have increased our student population accessing Early College, I am very pleased to introduce our new team members for 2016-2017:
- Zachary Alarcon, AVID Teacher
- Lilika Belet, PPCC Sociology Adjunct Instructor
- Keith Clayton, Business Teacher
- Katrina Everette, Counselor
- Joy Griffin, Counselor
- Brandi Kraft, PPCC Math Adjunct Instructor
- Suzanne Lord, Social Studies Teacher
- Sean Norman, Dean of Students
- Christy Rotunno, Special Education Teacher
Our teachers have been busily working all summer long to introduce amazing new opportunities to our students this year! From redesigning their college courses to include real world, project based learning opportunities that include industry certifications, to building out new courses that we've added to our curriculum, students can expect more opportunities for learning and growth at the ECHS campus!
Brand new courses include:
- College Algebra, MAT 121
- Career Math, MAT 107
- Sociology, SOC 101
By now, families who are new to Early College should have scheduled time to meet with our school counselors, Ms. Southern, Mrs. Griffin, and Mrs. Everette. If you have not done this, please contact Mrs. Mackins at 328-2085.
Families who are returning to Early College will receive student schedules at Early College Orientation to be held on Wednesday, August 17 at 6:00 p.m. All students, College Bridge and College Select, are required to attend and Early College Orientation.
In addition, College Select Students are required to attend a PPCC Concurrent Enrollment Orientation. If College Select Students attended the PPCC Concurrent Enrollment Orientation last year, there is no need to attend the PPCC Concurrent Enrollment Orientation this year. There are a variety of dates and times to choose from--we will provide them to you at EC Orientation on 8/17/16.
Finally, for the first time ever, thanks to the Counselor Corp Grant that we received, Early College is offering Link Crew to our freshmen students. According to their website at http://www.boomerangproject.com/link/what-link-crew,
Link Crew is a year-long transition program with four components that contribute to its success:
- High School Orientation: Link Leaders and freshmen start building the mentor relationship and freshmen receive information about how to be successful in high school
- Academic Follow Ups - Link Leaders support freshman academic success and character development through structured classroom visits
- Social Follow Ups - Link Leaders and freshmen connect outside the classroom at social events to increase student engagement, and promote positive school climate
- Leader Initiated Contacts - Link Leaders connect with their freshmen on a more individual basis
Parents, are you interested in knowing what is going on at Early College? Are you interested in having a voice in the decisions that are made at Early College? Please consider joining our School Accountability Committee--meetings are held the first (non-vacation) Tuesday of every month at 4:30 p.m. Join us in Room 170!
Let's make it a GREAT year, families!
Principal, Early College High School & Career Pathways